Systems Biology and Biomedical Systems
The study of biological processes and systems represents a new challenge for systems and control theory. Life sciences, biology in particular, are now experiencing a profound revolution driven by the sudden availability of data produced by new experimental techniques. Moreover, there is growing awareness among life scientists that a full understanding of life can’t rely only on the study of the single components of a biological system (just like in the classical reductionist approach): every component is included in a network of dynamic interactions and they are as much important as the component itself. These two facts together made dynamic modeling of biological processes an ideal theoretical framework to support biology in this revolution, to aid in interpretation of data and to extract new information from them. Systems Biology research at SiraLab is currently dealing with dynamic modeling of DNA damage and repair processes in single cells. SiraLab work in Systems Biology applied to translational Oncology thanks to a constantly collaboration with biologists and oncologists. Current focus of our group is in signal transduction networks and robustness of cancer cells
SIRALab group is also active in the development of information technology tools for medical and biological applications, such as artificial pancreas simulation, hydrocephalus pressure control and management and biomedical image processing.
- "Systems biology in personalized medicine in oncology: A case study in non-small cell lung cancer.". J Clin Oncol 30, 2012 (suppl; abstr e21096). 2012. [More]
- "Concomitant high gene copy number and protein overexpression of IGF1R and EGFR negatively affect disease free survival of surgically resected non-small-cell-lung cancer patients", Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology. 2012. [More]
- "SYSTEMS BIOLOGY IN TRANSLATIONAL ONCOLOGY: COMPUTATIONAL AND EXPERIMENTAL STUDY OF EGFR AND IGF1R PATHWAYS IN NSCLC CELL LINES". Annals of Oncology. 2012. [More]
- "Influence of screening on colorectal cancer incidence , survival, and stage at diagnosis: differences by gender". 2012. [More]
- "Icf role in the definition of als rehabilitation project". 2012. [More]
- Pancreas artificiale: Studio di un sistema di controllo ad elevata autonomia per il controllo del sistema glucosio/insulina in pazienti diabetici di tipo 1.